Who is this course for?
The Reactive Dog Course is created for pet dogs who have big feelings towards dogs or people. Within six weeks, students will have access to private and group sessions.
Where is it located?
- Group sessions are located in MissionWay Church auditorium (Old St. Augustine Rd. and Phillips Hwy.)
- Private sessions are in your home or at a nearby park.
- Group sessions held on Thursdays at 6:30-7:30 pm
- Private Sessions every other week in your home, or at a nearby park.
Our beliefs about dogs who have big feelings…
Before any practical training, each team must have their essential needs satisfied, and confidence their actions will be heard. Therefore, the course program expands on the previous week. The results will vary in communication and habits formed by each team.
This course is not to fix your dog, or forever change behaviors. Dogs who display aggressive, fearful, or excited behaviors are trying to communicate. It is our job as pet owners to teach them to communicate in more human acceptable ways.
Week 1 & 2
Prevent with engagement
In the initial two weeks of the course, we will concentrate on engagement between the dog owner and their dog. With engagement and trust, teams will learn:
- Education on dog body language
- Enrichment (easy ways to fulfill their needs)
- Watch your dog, instead of their surroundings.
Week 3 & 4
Interruption & a trusting relationship
- Understanding factors affecting your dog’s behavior
- Duration rate of arousal and decompression
- Distance before your dog goes over their threshold
Weeks 5 & 6
TRAINING & REALISITC GOALS
- Realistic goal setting
- 1,2,3 Pattern Game
- Default Sit
- Building easy routines
***Please note: group sessions are one hour & compacted crash courses. Because of the intense, repetitive, elevating and decompressing stress, reinforcements will be heavily used.***